Friday 3 April 2009

Bringing Intelligence Back


Adieu President Obama & Michelle O! It was so nice to have you here. Jeez, what a whirlwind couple of days. But did we really expect anything else from the most powerful couple in the world? Michelle’s visit to the north London comprehensive school was the highlight for me. Can you imagine how super excited the pupils at Elizabeth Garrett Anderson school must have been when they realised that the surprise guest scheduled to speak at their school was none other than America’s First Lady? It’s the kind of 'moment' that will stick with you for life, right? I remember when one of the Capital Radio DJ’s rolled into our primary school back in the day, it was absolute pandemonium. Yeah, I know, doesn’t really compare does it, but you catch my drift. Michelle’s speech was moving to say the least. Just watching her clap excitedly while watching the young singer, or choke up while reading her emotive speech really set me up for the day. My favourite quotes:

“I never cut class. I loved getting A’s, I liked being smart. I liked being on time. I thought being smart is cooler than anything in the world. You, too, with these values, can control your own destiny. You, too, can pave the way.”  

"Whether you come from a council estate or a country estate, your success will be determined by your own confidence and fortitude."

“For nothing in my life ever would have predicted that I would be standing here as the first African-American First Lady. I was not raised with wealth or resources or any social standing to speak of. I was raised on the South Side of Chicago — that’s the real part of Chicago.” 

I just love how the Obama's are bringing talent, tenacity and intelligence back into the public domain. Vapid & talentless ‘celebrities’ must be O’ding on their anxiety pills right about now.

A clip from the visit 

3 comments:

Matilda Egere-Cooper said...

Yea, I'm a major Mrs O fan...but I thought if I blogged about her one more time, might be accused of being sycophantic LOL

But yes...I was gushing ALL DAY about this lady. I really wanna meet her, just to get some of those nuggets of wisdom...

Ondo Lady said...

God how cool and serene is that lady? Can she get anymore fabulous? That was such a powerful message that she sent out to young women and guys. There was such a vibe in the air when Barack and Michelle were here. I am still reeling from it.

Kwana said...

Don't you just love it? I sure do.

About Me

My photo
I am a thirty-something African Caribbean female from South East London. My blog will shine a light on Black British culture offering the best in entertainment, fashion, beauty, community, film & music, with the occasional personal musing thrown in from yours truly. Thank you for taking out the time to peek into the pages of my diary. Now grab a cup of cocoa, relax and enjoy.