Saturday 18 October 2008

Back to UK Blak - Neneh Cherry (Manchild)


Before there was a Kelis, MIA or any of those alternative types of chicks, there was Neneh Cherry. Bursting onto the scene in the late eighties sporting stretched lycra, thick gold rope chains, and a huge baby bump to boot, she shook up the British music industry up with her unique hybrid of soul, hip-hop and pop. I didn’t quite get Neneh at first. I hated Buffalo Stance, although I can probably recite the song lyric for lyric to this day. However, under my school mate Rachel’s insistence, I finally succumbed and bought the album Raw Like Sushi, and transformed overnight into a bonafide fan. Manchild is one of my favourites. Indeed the video was random and strange, but it was also inventive which was kinda fitting of her offbeat personality. I used to have the very same style leggings that she’s wearing in the clip, which I would rock with some battered Reebok trainers. On occasion I would attempt to do the whole figure hugging mini dress with trainers too but would get dissed severely, and being the sensitive soul I was back then, stopped immediately. 


P.S. Her son must be a big man now. 

3 comments:

etoilee8 said...

I love the fact that she's holding the baby the entire time. There's something so passionate and sweet about it.

Anonymous said...

Raw Like Sushi was a brilliant album! Loved Neneh!

MsQuiche said...

The woman was just too cool

About Me

My photo
I am a thirty-something African Caribbean female from South East London. My blog will shine a light on Black British culture offering the best in entertainment, fashion, beauty, community, film & music, with the occasional personal musing thrown in from yours truly. Thank you for taking out the time to peek into the pages of my diary. Now grab a cup of cocoa, relax and enjoy.