Friday 24 October 2008

X-Factor: So how do you think they're doing?




A few weeks back I endorsed X-Factor contestants Alexandra Burke and Rachel Hylton as the forerunners of the competition. We're now two weeks into the live shows and getting somewhat of an indication as to who is likely to go the distance. Last week it was Michael Jackson Week and Alexandra took to the stage and gave a rousing performance of The Jackson's 'I'll Be There' (although as Simon pointed out, it was obviously inspired by Mariah's version as the ad libs were sung verbatim). Looking every inch the superstar, it was almost a certainty that she'd sail through to the next round. And she did. Rachel on the other hand surprised most by opting for what in my opinion is one of Jacko's weakest songs, like ever, - Dirty Diana. Decked in an ill-fitting gold lame jacket and backed by an over the top stage production befittng a West End musical, Rachel's performance appeared clumsy, contrived and uninspiring. Not surprisingly, Simon slaughtered her. In all honesty I was shocked that she wasn't in the bottom two, proving that she's obviously got a few supporters out there. I understand her need to break free from the "generic R&B girl" tag but she needs to find a way to marry her need for experimentation with song choices and a personal style that comes from a place of sincerity. Watching her on stage last Saturday, it was clearly evident that she wasn't at all comfortable, and I found it near impossible to connect with her like I did in the audition stages. I sincerely believe it will be last chance saloon if she doesn't come correct tomorrow. Check out the performances above and tell me what you think. 

8 comments:

Matilda Egere-Cooper said...

Alex is a gem, but I'm cooling towards Rachel...could be the ghetto-ness-ess (lol) or just the fact she's flopped two weeks in a row. That whole 'trying to branch out' debate is redundant unless she can show and prove with what she's got...AND - in my humblest opinion, I never thought Rachel was THAT great of a singer in the auditions (shrug). We'll see...

MsQuiche said...

I know, right - I'm loving Rachel for the very same reason. I think it's the whole 'rooting for the underdog' thing. She redeemed herself last night though, sang brilliantly and had the audience eating out of her hand. Alex was fab as always. I'm also starting to really like Diane(?),the little quirky blond girl with the Sinead O'Connor style vocals.

Ondo Lady said...

Well they both rocked it last night which was sooo good to see as both ladies had something to prove. Rachel needed to silence the critics after her previous lack lustre performances and Alex wanted to show Simon where to stick it after his insensitive comments last week. I was enthralled by both of them and they both looked gorgeous. I also love Laura and Diana too. I do think it is funny that Rachel and Danni are not getting on.

More important of all: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

MsQuiche said...

THANK YOU SWEETIE...

Haha - yeah, absolutely loved the Rachel VT, you could realy feel the tension in the air between Rachel and Danni.

Matilda Egere-Cooper said...

Happy belated? lol :) Bless you...
Yea, you're right - Rachel killed it. 'Bout time too!

Anonymous said...

I haven't really been paying much attention to this year's ex-factor. I just can't seem to get in to it.

MsQuiche said...

Thanks for the bday greetings Matilda

MsQuiche said...

Janice you should try watching. This is the best line up they've had in years.

About Me

My photo
I am a thirty-something African Caribbean female from South East London. My blog will shine a light on Black British culture offering the best in entertainment, fashion, beauty, community, film & music, with the occasional personal musing thrown in from yours truly. Thank you for taking out the time to peek into the pages of my diary. Now grab a cup of cocoa, relax and enjoy.