Wednesday 15 October 2008

Michael X - as told by Vanessa Walters

If you are in London over the next few weeks you must support Vanessa Walter’s new play ‘Michael X’ based on the tumultuous life of Britain’s most notorious Black activist, Michael Freitas AKA Michael X. I recently wrote a piece about Michael in Pride magazine, and even after completing the article I was none the wiser about this enigmatic character. Hustler, activist, pimp, murder - are just some of the tags that Michael adorned. But with so much of his character left in the hands of unscrupulous tabloid hacks, I’m ever curious about discovering who he really was. Vanessa is a friend of mine so I’ll admit I’m slightly biased, but I’m pretty certain that she will produce a provocative, well-written and emotive piece of work. The play is showing between November 6 – 27 at the Tabernacle, Powis Square, W11. You can book tickets on www.carnivalvillage.org.uk 

1 comment:

Ondo Lady said...

Michael X is an enigmatic figure who some people might mistake with the great Malcolm X. It is about time he got his dues and I will try and check it out.

About Me

My photo
I am a thirty-something African Caribbean female from South East London. My blog will shine a light on Black British culture offering the best in entertainment, fashion, beauty, community, film & music, with the occasional personal musing thrown in from yours truly. Thank you for taking out the time to peek into the pages of my diary. Now grab a cup of cocoa, relax and enjoy.